[Ads-l] "kludgy, adj." - Word of the Day from the OED

Sat May 18 17:31:56 UTC 2019

Peter: I think you meant to say "Davy Crockett" instead of "Daniel
Boone". The chapter about "The Kushmaker" by Alan Dundes mentions an
anecdote reportedly told by Davy Crockett.

One of Crockett's unskilled neighbors wished to fashion an axe from a
piece of iron. He visited a blacksmith, and the iron was heated. The
neighbor spent almost an entire day striking the metal and attempting
to create an axe, but he failed. He was also unsuccessful while
attempting to create a mattock.

The blacksmith suggested that he next try to make a ploughshare. After
yet another failure the blacksmith told the neighbor that he had
succeeded in creating a "fine skow". The red hot iron was thrown "into
a trough of water near him, and as it fell in, it sung out skow".

The Google Books database contains an 1833 book that includes the
David Crockett anecdote about a blacksmith and an unskilled neighbor.

Year: 1833
Title: Sketches and Eccentricities of Col. David Crockett of West Tennessee
Printer and Publisher: by J. & J. Harper, New York
Chapter VI
Quote Page 79 and 80

https://books.google.com/books?id=RZsOAAAAYAAJ&q=%22fine+skow%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt - check for typos]
"Mr. Speaker--Do you know what that man's bill reminds me of? Well, I
'spose you don't, so I'll tell you. Well, Mr. Speaker, when I first
come to this country, a blacksmith was a rare thing; but there
happened to be one in my neighbourhood; he had no striker, and
whenever one of the neighbours wanted any work done, he had to go over
and strike till his work was finished.

These were hard times, Mr. Speaker, but we had to do the best we
could. It happened that one of my neighbours wanted an axe, so he took
along with him a piece of iron, and went over to the blacksmith's to
strike till his axe was done.

The iron was heated, and my neighbour fell to work, and was striking
there nearly all day; when the blacksmith concluded the iron would n't
make an axe, but 'twould make a fine mattock; so my neighbour wanting
a mattock, concluded he would go over and strike till his mattock was
done; accordingly, he went over the next day, and worked faithfully;
but towards night the blacksmith concluded his iron would n't make a
mattock, but 'twould make a fine ploughshare; so my neighbour wanting
a ploughshare, agreed that he would go over the next day and strike
till that was done; accordingly, he again went over, and fell hard to
work; but towards night the blacksmith concluded his iron would n't
make a ploughshare, but 'twould make a fine skow; so my neighbour,
tired working, cried, a skow let it be--and the blacksmith taking up
the red hot iron, threw it into a trough of water near him, and as it
fell in, it sung out skow.

And this, Mr. Speaker, will be the way with that man's bill for a
county; he'll keep you all here doing nothing, and finally his bill
will turn out a skow, now mind if it don't."
[End excerpt]

Garson