[Ads-l] Bilko's high-five in '55

dave@wilton.net dave at WILTON.NET
Wed May 22 14:15:03 UTC 2019

I wouldn't call what happens in "In the Navy" high fives (or high tens). They're choreographed dance moves. But you can judge for yourself: [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIFN13-a1iA ]( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIFN13-a1iA )

But I'd say the Phil Silvers show qualifies.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Ben Zimmer" <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 7:52am
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Bilko's high-five in '55

That "Phil Silvers Show" episode came up in this forum discussion, along
with apparent high-fives in the Abbott & Costello film "In The Navy" (1941)
(during the Andrews Sisters' performance of the song "Gimme Some Skin, My
Friend") and, later, Jean-Luc Godard's "Breathless" (1960):

https://web.archive.org/web/20140808053607/https://mubi.com/topics/first-high-five-in-cinema-history