[Ads-l] fantastic -- SFF sense (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed May 22 20:23:30 UTC 2019

Bill Mullins wrote:
> The OED SF project has an entry for "fantastic" (adj) in the SF/F sense, earliest cite 1934
>
> _Science Fiction Digest_ Feb 1933 p 18 col 2
> "We are considering enlarging the field of our service, thereby covering the so-called 'fantastic' magazines."
> http://www.fanac.org/fanzines/SF_Digest_2/SF_Digest_0106-18.jpeg

Bill: What is the desired definition of "fantastic" in the SFF domain?
Currently, attempting to access webpages on jessesword.com generates
errors (for me).

The raw match below is in the SF domain. "The Machine Stops" is a
famous early SF story by E. M. Forster.

Year: 1928
Periodical: The Texas Outlook
Volume 12
Quote Page 47
Google Books snippet match; data may be inaccurate; search for "1928"
shows that 1928 issues are in the target book. Volume number 12
matches the year.

[Begin excerpt]
"The Machine Stops" is a fantastic picture of what existence will have
become some ages hence when every phase of human life is dominated by
machine
[End excerpt]

Garson