[Ads-l] fantastic -- SFF sense (UNCLASSIFIED)

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY CCDC AVMC (USA) 0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Thu May 23 21:35:43 UTC 2019

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

WRT to the definition of "fantastic," as Garson roots it out below:  my own involvement with genre literature and fandom (which is pretty limited these days) suggests that fantasy and SF are generally accepted more as a continuum currently, than as two separate branches of literature.  So I wouldn’t personally exclude hard SF from "fantastic"; that is to say, even if the Kenealy stories mentioned below are more like H. G. Wells's work (at the "hard" end of the SF spectrum) than, say, like Baum's "Oz" tales (much more obviously "fantasy"), that shouldn't necessarily mean that "fantastic" couldn't apply to them. I'd note that many pulps and magazines with "Fantastic" and "Fantasy" in their titles published hard SF along with straight fantasy. But if the writer of these definitions (presumably Jeff Prucher, who has 1 more Hugo than I do) sees it otherwise, I'd certainly defer.

Kenealy is listed at ISFDB.com, but the collection "Belinda's Beaux" mentioned below is not.
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?122689

I couldn't find "Belinda's Beaux" online, or even a table of contents to identify the stories in question, but a contemporary discussion of the book does not lead me to believe that this particular use of "fantastic" matches the OED SF Project sense of the term:
https://books.google.com/books?id=vUVOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA53&dq="belinda%27s+beaux"