[Ads-l] Venus symbol is for gender not sex

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 3 14:08:03 UTC 2019

I’m pretty sure I got this wrong and that Linnaeus’s designation holds.

As per https://tinyurl.com/yy4toxl6 <https://tinyurl.com/yy4toxl6> (“Always Sanitary Products Remove Feminine Symbol in Move towards Inclusivity," Joanna Whitehead, 21 Oct), inclusion of the symbol on the products was a decision "that [transgender customers/activitists] felt excluded transgender and non-binary customers who do not identity [sic] as women, but who also use the items.” So the Venus symbol does indeed stand for sex not gender.

And while sanitary products are for female-sex-based needs, perhaps there are non-female-sexed people who use them.

My apologies for the spam.

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA