[Ads-l] as well = either

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 5 13:32:12 UTC 2019

I haven't checked the OED, because even if it's there, it's still worthy of
comment.

For some years - maybe five, maybe less, just guessing - I've been noticing
cable news anchors using "as well" in negative contexts where I can use
*only* "either."  It's extremely common: it's been a very long time since I
heard a CNN journalist use "either" in such contexts. (And yes, I *have*
been paying attention.)

Excellent Internet ex.,albeit from Malaysia:

"Facility wise, I can't say much about it as it wasn't so good but it isn't
bad as well.

A Google search for the phrase "isn't bad either" turns up 1.3 million raw
hits.

"Isn't bad as well" gets 470,000.  Not to be sneezed at, weird as it is.

At Google Books, "isn't bad as well" gets a single hit - from an English
story for children (1884):

"Well, sir, it's such a good thing the other one isn't bad as well."

JL