[Ads-l] ambush 'a surprise military attack'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 10 11:53:59 UTC 2019

Seems to me that the 1941 means the usual ordinary "attack from hiding:
(here above the clouds)  and the 1914 means the usual "concealed position
from which to launch an attack"( here presumably above the clouds).

Of course, "from hiding" is a hyponym of "by surprise": hence the extension.

In contemporary minds.

JL