[Ads-l] nubile

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Nov 12 19:18:47 UTC 2019

Next frontier: buxom hunks.  The OED entry does allow for non-gender-nonexclusivity ("Chiefly of a girl or young woman”) for both sense 1 (‘marriageable; of an age or condition suitable for marriage; sexually mature’) and sense 3 (‘sexually attractive’), but none of the cites involve hunks or other male referents.  Sense 2, 'Of a person's age: suitable for marriage, permissible for marriage’, is more sex-neutral, as in

1910   Encycl. Brit. I. 373/1   In Greece the age of majority is twenty-one, and the nubile age sixteen for males and fourteen for females.

LH