[Ads-l] Antedates for "Team X"?

Tue Nov 19 04:57:51 UTC 2019

"Team Tara" emerged circa 1995. It is interesting because it is an
early example of a moniker based on a personal name, specifically, a
first name. Team Ferrari and Team Ford employed personal names, but, I
think, the two should more accurately be viewed as company names in
this context.

Ben Zimmer indicates that "Team Aniston" vs. "Team Jolie" emerged in
2005. "Team Macca" vs. "Team Heather" emerged in 2006 with "Team
Heather" based on a first name.

By 1995 "Team Tara" referred to the women's U.S. national basketball
team which was coached by Tara VanDerveer.

By 1997 "Team Tara" developed an additional distinct sense. It
referred to a group of people who were close to Olympic skater Tara
Lipinski. The group varied in size and composition. The following
people were sometimes included: Lipinski's parents, her coaches, a
choreographer, an agent, and Tara herself.

This group consisted of Tara Lipinski's strongest supporters and
advocates. Thus, I think, it would be a natural evolutionary step for
"Team X" to expand to include fans of X in general; however, I do not
have any evidence that this expansion occurred with respect to "Team
Tara".

LH highlighted a valuable distinction when examining instances of
"Team X". Does it refer to a literal team or some other aggregation?

The first meaning of "Team Tara" clearly referred to a basketball
team. The second meaning of "Team Tara" referred to a close group of
supporters of Tara Lipinski. This assemblage diverged from the
traditional notion of a team, I think, by including the parents and a
business agent (at least sometimes).