[Ads-l] pronunciation of the capital of Ukraine

Martin Purdy 00000bd8cf391c5b-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Wed Nov 20 18:36:59 UTC 2019

The Ukrainian version of the name transliterates as Kyiv, and there seems to be a trend toward adopting native-language spellings and (approximate) pronunciations in English these days, which may explain it.
I still get grumpy when I see people write München or Köln in English as it looks pretentious, but since Kiev is the Russian rather than the Ukrainian version, this one doesn't bother me as much
Martin NZ