[Ads-l] word for kind of subtitle?

Fri Nov 22 03:47:18 UTC 2019

According to the "Glossary of film terms" hosted at Durham University.
The term "insert titles" is used when referring to titles (captions)
that announce scenes or identify settings.

https://community.dur.ac.uk/m.p.thompson/filmterms.htm

[Begin excerpt]
titles

Any words that appear on the screen to convey information to the
audience, including credit titles (identifying personnel), main title
(the name of the film), end titles (closing credits), insert titles
(announcing scenes or identifying settings) and subtitles (translation
of foreign-language dialogue). Insert titles and subtitles can also be
referred to as captions.
[End excerpt]

Switching topics. When I started to explore JL's question I was
reminded that there is specialized term for audio tracks that describe
scenes for the blind. These audio descriptions are not captions, but
my mind connected the topics.

https://www.loc.gov/nls/about/services/reference-publications/guides/audio-description-resource-guide/

 [Begin excerpt]
Descriptive video is a form of audio-visual translation used primarily
by blind and visually impaired consumers of television and film.
Television and movies use descriptive video when they employ a
Secondary Audio Program (SAP), when the images and actions on screen
are described during natural pauses in the dialogue.
[End excerpt]

Garson