[Ads-l] word for kind of subtitle?

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 22 13:33:03 UTC 2019

A couple of other terms are telop (mainly used in Japanese), intertitle and surtitle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtitles#See_also <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtitles#See_also>).

"Intertitles were text-only clips spliced into films to explain important plot points and fill in the narrative space of silent cinema…. The purpose of intertitles in modern works is usually to indicate the passage of time or change in location…" (https://blog.amara.org/2019/07/11/a-history-of-subtitles/ <https://blog.amara.org/2019/07/11/a-history-of-subtitles/>). Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intertitle <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intertitle>) says they are also known as “title cards”.

The Reverse Dictionary (https://reversedictionary.org/wordsfor/subtitle <https://reversedictionary.org/wordsfor/subtitle>) also has some suggestions.

Although irrelevant to the question at hand, there is also the term “fansub” ("Audiovisual Translation: Subtitling” by Jorge Díaz Cintas and Aline Remael, https://tinyurl.com/tfamvhq <https://tinyurl.com/tfamvhq>), which also has a Wiki article.

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA