[Ads-l] come = minutes before (the hour of ...)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Nov 24 20:35:51 UTC 2019

I wonder if this bears any relation to another "n come m" expression I'm
more familiar with, without knowing exactly what it means, as used in the
context of craps, the dice game. I have an image of a gambler blowing on
his fist in which the two dice are concealing and shaking vigorously, with
the incantation "7 come 11".  Here's wikipedia on craps--
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craps#Come_bet--although I can't say I find
it really helps. There's also betting on the come in poker (i.e. on the
expectation that one will obtain cards that will improve one's hand, rather
than on the hand one already has), but that doesn't seem relevant.
LH