[Ads-l] Phrase: due-diligenced to death

Mon Nov 25 12:34:48 UTC 2019

The company Honey which makes a browser extension for electronic
coupons recently was acquired by PayPal for $4 billion. An article at
Business Insider pointed to a tweet by a venture capitalist who had
invested in Honey.

I noticed that the tweet contained the word “diligencing” apparently
derived from more common phrases such as "perform due diligence" or
"conduct due diligence".  "due diligence" has been converted into a
verb, and the word "due" is sometimes excised.

The topic was discussed in 2016 at the English StackExchange website
under the title: Can “diligence” be used as a verb?
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/339874/can-diligence-be-used-as-a-verb

One discussion participant located a 2005 citation with a pertinent
instance of the verb form. The participant also noted earlier examples
with a different sense.

Below is the tweet about the Honey acquisition followed by a citation
from 1991 with the phrase "due-diligenced to death".

Tweet from: Brett deMarrais @BrettdeM
Timestamp: 5:08 PM  Nov 20, 2019
Accessed on twitter on Nov 25, 2019
https://twitter.com/BrettdeM/status/1197275449229029377?s=20

[Begin tweet]
This photo is the moment after @jtriest and I agreed to invest in the
seed round after “diligencing” @honey on a walk around the block.
Jonathon asked for this photo and half jokingly said “I’ll save this
for when you sell for billions”.
[End tweet]