[Ads-l] bread-and-butter pickles

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 30 15:12:51 UTC 2019

Very nice citations!

Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickled_cucumber <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickled_cucumber>) gives a reason for the name: "The story attached to the name is that the Fannings survived rough years by making the pickles with their surplus of undersized cucumbers and bartering them with their grocer for staples such as bread and butter.”

In the below citation, Ziedrich says she suspects this story is merely apocryphal and cites a 1929 article that says the pickles were “extensively eaten with bread and butter."

The Joy of Pickling, 3rd Edition: 300 Flavor-Packed Recipes for All Kinds of Produce from Garden or Market
By Linda Ziedrich
https://tinyurl.com/vukzo7k <https://tinyurl.com/vukzo7k>

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA