[Ads-l] spooky claws

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 1 19:02:49 UTC 2019

https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=35093

The OED's gloss for "air quote" incorporates the connotation of irony:

*n.* orig. *U.S.* (usually in* pl*.) a pair of quotation marks gestured by
a speaker's fingers in the air, esp. to indicate that what is being said is
ironic, mocking, or disingenuous, or is not a turn of phrase the speaker
would typically employ.

But the OED's entry also gives evidence that some people were miming
two-fingered quotes in the air more than 90 years ago (though this seems to
be a slightly different version of the gesture):

[1927   *Science* 8 July 38/2   Some years ago I knew a very intelligent
young woman who used to inform us that her 'bright sayings'..were not
original, by raising both hands above her head with the first and second
fingers pointing upward. Her fingers were her 'quotation marks' and were
very easily understood.]

The OED's earliest actual "air quotes" citation is from 1989, and supports
the "ironic, mocking, or disingenuous" connotation:

1989   *Spy* Mar. 94/1   When Bob and Betty describe themselves in these
ways, they raise the middle and forefingers of both hands, momentarily
forming twitching bunny ears—air quotes, the quintessential contemporary
gesture that says *We're not serious*.

"twitching bunny ear quotes" is, I think, the best of the lot!

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell
608 261-5738 wk