[Ads-l] spooky claws

Tue Oct 1 21:45:30 UTC 2019

Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> The gesture I have in mind is the kind you use to tease little kids into
> expecting the zombie apocalypse.
>
> You furrow your brow, purse your lips, scrunch your neck, lean forward,
> extend your arms slightly, curve your fingers, then wiggle them menacingly,
> often while making a moaning supernatural sound.

It does seem that there are many stereotypical gestures that do not
currently have names.

Several people have mentioned the "air quotes" gesture which does have
a name, but it differs from JL's description. Here are two pertinent
pics from shutterstock.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-vector/air-quotes-109508960
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/smiling-young-businessman-showing-air-quotes-74570245

There is another named gesture called "jazz hands" that differs from
JL's description, but it does involve wiggling the fingers. Here is a
pertinent video from YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuPSIbABYVU

There is another gesture that is usually aimed at younger children.
The hands are intended to represent stereotypical versions of claws on
a tiger, lion, or cat-like creature. The intent is to frighten or
mock-frighten. However, one usually makes clawing motions with the
fingers. This differs from JL's description because one does not
wiggle the fingers in a spooky way. I do not know if this gesture has
a name.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/young-asian-chinese-man-wearing-tshirt-1475755280
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/young-crazy-man-casual-clothes-posing-1506971987

The following snapshot is ambiguous to me. The child might be making a
gesture of derision. To make this gesture one places one's thumbs near
one's ears and wiggles one's fingers. One might stick out one's
tongue. One might make a raspberry sound. I do not know if this
gesture has a name.

Alternatively, the child might be making a mock frightening gesture.
To make this gesture one would make ghostly sounds and wiggle one's
fingers.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/boy-making-funny-face-49551127

Garson