[Ads-l] "making due"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 3 18:19:17 UTC 2019

> On Oct 3, 2019, at 1:45 PM, Andy Bach <afbach at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
>> the Eggcorn Database (if it belongs), but three browsers warned me it was
> not secure to go there.
>
> Their https certificate expired yesterday.  That means it's probably safe
> to go there, though.  If anybody knows the admin, they may want to try and
> contact them.  Using the google
> site:eggcorns.lascribe.net "making due"
>
> seems to show this is *not* in that db yet this google
> site:eggcorns.lascribe.net "make due"
>
> gets a number hits (you can safely view them by clicking the the triangle
> and choose "cached"), including Arnold Zwicky's 2005 entry:
> Spotted in the wild:
>
>   - “Two San Mateo County public employees… were lucky enough to not miss
>   a single paycheck [while serving on the Scott Peterson jury], while other
>   jurors would have had to make due with with a $15 a day court
> stipend…” *(Palo
>   Alto Daily News, 15 December 2004, p. 4)*
>   - “My sister is famous for last minute appearances but since she comes
>   so rarely we make due and I need to capture her for some serious
>   discussions…” *(cited by Mark Mandel on ADS-L, 29 January 2005)*
>   - “With Floyd batting .391, the Mets have been able to make due with
>   Mike Piazza batting .198.” *(Lee Jenkins, "Mets on Edge Show Precision
>   When It Matters", NYT, 5/5/05, D3, cited by Larry Horn on ADS-L, 5 May
>   2005)*
>   - “Cities trying to figure out how to make due with less by Tom
>   Robertson, Minnesota Public Radio February 21, 2003″ *(link
>   <http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2003/02/21_robertsont_lgacuts/>)*
>   - Yes, I know that 5/8 of the league will be sitting at home with their
>   hands in their pockets, but for the remaining teams that are in the
>   Playoffs it is due-or-die time. *(eNFL bulletin board
>   <http://tredsoft.com/eNFL/viewtopic.php?p=487>, Nov. 21, 2003)*
>   - Today was due or die day, as I had to get Chapter 3 of my contract
>   project down to the boss. *(Eclectic Everyday blog
>   <http://eclecticeveryday.blogspot.com/2004/10/for-someone-who-has-trouble-with.html>,
>   Oct. 21, 2004)*
>   - Overall that placed them 5th in the league meaning that they will face
>   the number four ranked UCCB Capers on Friday in a due or die match.
> *(Memorial
>   Univ. of Newfoundland Athletics
>   <http://www.mun.ca/athletics/main/weekendpreview/view.php?id=267>, Nov. 3,
>   2004)*

Also:  “my book is overdo”, as in
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120618114644AAiY1hY
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/17280476-b

“Don’t overdue it”, as in
https://www.buzzsprout.com/110832/1272580
https://tinyurl.com/yxgee6e5

I like the “due or die” ones, which also extend to the Due or Dye Hair Salon

https://dueordyehairstudio.setmore.com/

(yes, the “dye” part is intentional, but I figure the “due” must be for parallelism or assimilation)