[Ads-l] Antedatings and Etymological Speculation Concerning "Spam" (Computing)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 5 16:52:00 UTC 2019

Here are the two posts in question from comp.sys.amiga in 1987 (the second
is in response to the first):

-----
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.amiga/eAugoelmZVs/OOtAZYMLOkUJ
[Kevin McBride, 10/22/87]
This article contains a *little* bit of Spam. :-)
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.amiga/eAugoelmZVs/88kmXASDBggJ
[Dave Haynie, 10/23/87]
Dirty Vikings!
-----

In the same newsgroup, "Spam Content" was used as a humorous header/warning
on posts, e.g.:

-----
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.amiga/CvrIz7aaoGk/tMaBKVvyup0J
[Ethan R. Dicks, 11/30/87]
Spam Content: very little
[come and get me....]
-----
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.amiga/Ed5yTkJn4Q0/xyKDLYyfxs0J
[Dave Haynie, 9/1/88]
Spam-Content: Negligible
-----
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.amiga/tUFeH6uTxGA/_cibDISTKRcJ
[Bryan Bayerdorffer, 11/3/88]
In article <17... at ames.arc.nasa.gov> mike at ames.arc.nasa.gov.UUCP (Mike
Smithwick) writes:
=-In article <610 at cord.UUCP> nsw at cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) writes:
=-<
=-<**WARNING:  MAJOR SPAM CONTENT FOLLOWS.  READ AT YOUR OWN RISK**
=-
=-[spurious spam deleted]
=-
Listen, people, I'll have you know that Spam(R) is a registered service
mark of SD&RS*, Austin, TX.  You agreed to pay us a royalty for every use
of the word Spam(R) when you tore the shrink-wrap off the little can, but
so far we haven't seen a penny.  So let's start forking it over shall we?
-----

--bgz