[Ads-l] Word: voicey

Sun Oct 6 00:42:47 UTC 2019

"Voicey" appears to be a somewhat new specialized word employed by
book editors and literary agents. It occurs in the title and the body
of an article posted on a website focused on YA (Young Adult) books.
Here is an extended excerpt to help explain the sense.

Website: YA Interrobang
Article Title: List of the Week: Voicey YA Novels
Author: Jill Gagnon
Date: April 20, 2017
http://www.yainterrobang.com/voicey-ya-novels-list/

[Begin excerpt]
If there’s one single element of writing I love above all others, it’s
voice. (Well, voice and the occasional well-placed Buffy and/or Doctor
Who reference.)

It’s that intangible thing that makes a book memorable, an author
unique, a character or a story leap off the page and into reality. It
can be polarizing, aggressive, strange, or even unlikeable—Holden
Caufield was the original voicey YA narrator, after all, and as much
as I had an aching crush on him circa age 14, he really doesn’t sound
like the dinner party company I’d seek out these days.

But that’s the beautiful thing about a strong, engaging voice: even
when you can’t stand what a voicey character (or author—more on that
later) is saying or doing on the page, you can’t look away. Voice can
make something terrible, or cruel, or weird, or just unpleasant
interesting.
[End excerpt]

Here is another citation in a book released in late 2017.