[Ads-l] jockey strap (1884), jockstrap (1886)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 7 13:02:04 UTC 2019

After Trump censored himself last week by saying "blank strap," I wrote a
piece for the Atlantic about the history of the word he wouldn't say,
"jockstrap":

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/10/why-trump-wouldnt-say-jockstrap/599395/

I cite the earliest known example for "jockstrap," from the 1886 Peck &
Snyder sporting goods catalogue. This is Merriam-Webster's earliest
citation, which was first reported by David Shulman in "Antedating the OED
On Americanisms," _American Speech_ Vol. 63, No. 2 (Summer 1988), p.116.
(There hasn't been an update of the entry since OED2, so the earliest cite
there is still 1897.)

I also mention a couple of 1886 examples of "jockey strap" (OED2 1896),
which some say was the original term. After my article published, Richard
Hershberger alerted to me an even earlier "jockey strap" example, from an
1884 catalogue:

----
https://archive.org/details/wright00wrig/page/105
_Wright & Ditson's Annual Illustrated Catalogue_, 1884, p. 105
Jockey Straps and Suspensories.
Very necessary articles for Athletics and Gymnasts.
Jockey Straps, Plain, each .50, Chamois Lined .75.
[with picture]
----

--bgz