[Ads-l] Antedating of "Strip Poker"

Wed Oct 9 19:11:56 UTC 2019

Excellent work, Peter.
I looked for instances that mentioned gambling for clothes, and found
the topic was too large to explore substantially in the limited amount
of time I allotted. So here are some miscellaneous citations.

A newspaper in 1924 reported that an archaeologist believed wagering
clothes was an ancient behavior. I do not know whether modern
archaeologists endorse this claim.

Date: August 23, 1924
Newspaper: Moline Daily Dispatch (The Dispatch)
Newspaper Location: Moline, Illinois
Section: Editorial Page
Article: (Filler item)
Quote Page 20, Column 1
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
Nothing is new, not even "strip poker." An archeologist finds that the
ancient Mayans in Yucatan used to wager their clothes on a handball
game.
[End excerpt]

In 1811 "The Scots Magazine" published a book review that discussed
"Buenos Ayres". Gamblers would sometimes wager their shirts.