[Ads-l] OED updates

Bill Mullins amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 12 03:32:59 UTC 2019

The new round of updates to the OED includes:

poke n.7  In Hawaiian cookery: sliced or cubed marinated raw fish or seafood, often served over rice.

with a first citation from 1978.

In Jul 2018, I posted to the list
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2018-July/152341.html
citations going back to 1956.  (I'm pretty sure I cc'ed the OED as well, but I sent it from my work account, and can't check it right now.)

Cobb salad, OED has 5/1/1947

2 Jan 1947 Los Angeles Times sec 2 p 6 col 3
"Two portions of Cobb salad they though would be enough for the three of us."
[the article is about eating at the Brown Derby, so this is the same dish]

wedge salad, OED has [1943] (for "lettuce wedge salad"), 1949
14 Oct 1939 Spokane WA _Semi-Weekly Spokesman-Review_ p 11 col 4
"Wedge Salad with Fruit Salad"

[16 Feb 1941 Jackson MS _Clarion-Ledger p 3 col 3
"Congealed tinted fruits with orange sections or stuffed celery -- grated beets -- lettuce wedges salad."
4 Feb 1942 Ottawa ONT _Ottawa Journal_ p 9 col 1
"Luncheon -- Wedge salad with pineapple dressing; seed rolls; sweetheart cakes; cranberried pears."

apology tour, OED has 1946
29 Jul 1922 Brookly Daily Eagle p 3 col 6
[headline] "GIPSY PAT SMITH BACK ON SHORT 'APOLOGY TOUR' . . . .He will spend six weeks in America on what he terms a 'tour of apology,' visiting St. Louis, St. Joseph, Spokane and other cities."

15 Sep 1929 San Francisco Chronicle p F9 col 5
[headline] "AUTHOR OF HATE HYMN MAKES 'APOLOGY' TOUR"

The new list has the sexual sense of "circle jerk," but not the time-wasting sense.  OED has 1975 for it.
26 Nov 1941 Bridgewater NJ _Courier-News_ p 5 col 3
"The men have no objection to working hard for two or three days in the field; but if they have to wait around for two or three hours before they are released after 'the war' is over, or if the orders are changed every few minutes for no apparent reason, the 'Circle Jerk' is on and they really do gripe."
12 Jul 1944 _Tampa [FL] Tribune_ p 12 col 2
"Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Newett, of Leesburg, has [sic] received word that their son, First Lieut. Arthur W. 'Billy' Newett, jr., flew as bombardier and navigator on the Marauder 'Circle Jerk' in support of Allied ground troops on invasion day."

"That dog won't hunt" - OED has 1933
20 Sep 1912 _Tuttle [OK] Times_ p 2 col 5
"No, no, Maxwell, you can't be for Roosevelt adn carry Mr. Taft at the head of your paper and make the people believe it.  The dog won't hunt. The people are not fools."

The new list includes "no harm no foul" (from 1954), but does not include "no blood, no foul" (which was nearly as common in the circles I ran in).
4 Feb 1943 Davenport IA _Daily Times_ p 18 col 1
"Although the game had its usual rough and tumble aspects, the officials were surprisingly libera, evidently believing 'no blood, no foul.'"

a little something something - OED has 1995
[song title] "A Little Somethin' Somethin'" by Melvin Riley, on 1994 album "Ghetto Love", MCA