[Ads-l] cocksucker (was: Re: a different euphemism)

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 15 03:15:29 UTC 2019

“Cocksucker” is undergoing social analysis.

At https://twitter.com/scottcwheeler/status/866319265611350016 <https://twitter.com/scottcwheeler/status/866319265611350016>, CoyoteDucks54 says, "Two of my gay friends think it's ridiculous that ppl are saying "cocksucker" is a homophobic slur, and they are angry it's taking the focus”.

As also indicated at http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2014/03/anderson-cooper-explains-antigay-slur-alec-baldwin.html <http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2014/03/anderson-cooper-explains-antigay-slur-alec-baldwin.html>, there are other people not aware of why the word entails homophobia. The issue is discussed in brief in the following book:

https://tinyurl.com/yyg87pyb <https://tinyurl.com/yyg87pyb>
The Long Arc of Justice: Lesbian and Gay Marriage, Equality, and Rights, pp. 78–79
Richard D. Mohr

As Mohr describes it, “cocksucker” appears to be about behavior, but because it is applied (nearly) exclusively to men, it is derogatory in that it is an insult based on the idea of a man fellating another man.

These are just three quick quotes that I found. There is surely more to this.

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA