[Ads-l] Antedating of "Fakelore"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 15 21:47:24 UTC 2019

Not exactly the same thing, but similar:

"Fake Nature-lore"
"As long as beaverts are a novelty in any district, sentimental interest in them is strong.  Pilgrimages are undertaken to see their dams, and much fake nature-lore is unearthed to prove their reputed wisdom."
Detroit Free Press, November 29, 1931, page 18.

"Fake Fistic-lore"
"The fight game is old Army stuff I like it!  A glutton for fake fistic lore, You never find me getting sore, But always coming back for more; I LOVE IT!"
The Standard Union (Brooklyn), June 25, 1930, page 8.

Coincidentally, I did a piece on my blog recently that included some "fakelore," if not by that name.  I wrote about the history of the Jackalope and a similar fake, the "Polar Trout" (or "fur-bearing trout").

https://esnpc.blogspot.com/2019/09/civic-pride-through-taxidermy-many.html

In doing that research I ran across other examples, and a minor controversy that arose when Theodore Roosevelt was President, when he railed against the so-called "nature fakers" (sometimes, "nature fakirs").  The "nature fakers" were of two kinds, people who wrote naturalistic fiction, like Jack London, while giving false impression of the nature or habits of wildlife, and newspaper writers who regularly wrote outlandish copy for mass distribution about some impossible animal or event, which were sometimes taken seriously by readers in far-away places.

There were even writers who specialized in creating such items for newspapers.  A man named L. T. Stone is believed to be responsible for a long list of stories mostly taking place in a place called Winsted, Connecticut over several decades, and a "Colonel Condon" (a "Con" artist) was responsible for a number of "nature fakes" in New Hampshire.

The "polar trout" from Greenland was originated by a man named "Bunker" (a signal that the story was "bunk"), and the fur-bearing polar trout from Montana was the work of a man named "Hoke" Smith - a man who wrote hoaxes, "hoax-smith".  There appears to have actually been such a man, named Robert Smith, whose nickname in journalism circles was "Hoke" (coincidentally, "Hoke" Smith was also the name of a Senator and former Secretary of the Interior, whose name was frequently used in a pun on "hoaxsmith" when he was caught prevaricating on something).

The "snipe," as in "snipe hunt" and a lumberjack legend of the "hodag" are examples of fakelore.  Both were originally used as jokes or initiation rites to abuse or scare newcomers, or snooty Easterners who deserved their comeuppance.  A newspaper in Wisconsin later invented an elaborate fakelore surrounding the "hodag," which over time became accepted as the kind of folklore Dorson later characterized as "fakelore."