[Ads-l] to hold over - to sustain

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 18 15:01:39 UTC 2019

to sustain, to be adequate enough to sustain

This definition is provided by Phred on the WordReference language forum:

1. https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/hold-someone-over.659187/ <https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/hold-someone-over.659187/>

####
In this case, to "hold someone over" means to give someone enough of something until more comes. Example: "I ate some chips after school. That held me over until dinner." This phrase is more colloquial, it's probably not something you want to use in formal writing.
####
####

Not in the OED, Wiktionary, Merriam-Webster or TheFreeDictionary.com.

2. https://insideflyer.com/2007/03/letters-65/ <https://insideflyer.com/2007/03/letters-65/>
Letters - March, 30 2007 [sic]
Editor’s note
Randy Petersen

Directly violating the advice to not use in formal writing:

####
No need to take your business elsewhere, I have arranged for you to have the next three years as an AAdvantage Gold member which I hope will hold you over until your safe return … and then some.
####
####

3. http://alisaharris.blogspot.com/2014/02/happy-veggie-valentines-day.html <http://alisaharris.blogspot.com/2014/02/happy-veggie-valentines-day.html>
Alisa
Happy Veggie Valentine's Day!

####
I painted some cute fruit and veggie valentines that I hope will hold you over for a bit longer.
####
####

4. https://www.wattpad.com/562883527-the-flower-and-the-gem-choni-toni%27s-poem <https://www.wattpad.com/562883527-the-flower-and-the-gem-choni-toni's-poem>
Toni’s Poem
bitchyjauregay

####
Just a little something I hope will hold you over until the next chapter is done with.
####
####

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA