[Ads-l] RIP, John Algeo

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 22 10:40:39 UTC 2019

This is very sad news for me. I didn't know John well, but as editor of
American Speech he accepted my neophyte article on World War I slang for a
1972 issue.  (It was on the recommendation of the late John Fisher.)

John and I corresponded periodically on slang for years afterward, and in
the '90s he did me the honor of an invitation to contribute the chapter on
American slang to the Cambridge History of the English Language.

The adjectives "warm" and "witty" have become cliches, but along with
"gracious" and "learned" they well described John Algeo.

JL