[Ads-l] most/majority

Bill Mullins amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 22 17:41:48 UTC 2019

But saying "with Trudeau winning the most seats but not a majority..." has problems as well -- he didn't win the most seats, his party just won more than any other party did.

I suppose it would be correct to say "with Trudeau winning the most seats of all the candidates but not a majority . . . " is grammatically correct, but at some point it is easier to believe the speaker just screwed up.

(a thought I often have when strange or novel uses of words and phrases are reported here -- "No, that's not the harbinger of a new sense of XXX, the writer is simply a moron and doesn't know how to use English correctly.")