[Ads-l] to rock, vt = to wear, to sport

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Tue Oct 22 22:01:06 UTC 2019

<sigh>

All that time to overly refine the OED entry, and no one gets around to looking it up....

OED _rock_ v.(1) sense 12 is divided into three subsenses: sense a, "To handle effectively and impressively..." (e.g. "rock the mic"), is found from 1978, in a live Grandmaster Flash concert; sense b, "To perform or produce..." ("rock the rhymes"), from 1979 from the Sugarhill Gang, and the sense in question here, defined in full as "To wear, esp. with panache; to display, flaunt, or sport (as a personally distinctive style, accessory, possession, etc.).", from 1987, citing Boogie Down Productions, with a range of additional quotes, including ones from Run-DMC, the Wu-Tang Clan, and Mase, on a Puff Daddy song (as well as the NY Times and Cosmo Girl).

Jesse Sheidlower