[Ads-l] layer = "an insulating item of clothing"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 23 16:07:05 UTC 2019

Of the major dictionaries, it looks like only American Heritage has this
particular sense of the noun and verb.

----
https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=layer
layer, n.
4. An item of clothing worn over or under another.
v. tr.
4. To wear (clothing) in layers.
----

AHD is just missing the intransitive usage, e.g., "be sure to layer." (If
Fred's wife wanted to be more succinct, she could say, "Layer!")

--bgz