[Ads-l] Fwd: Now I Know: What's So French About the F-Word?

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 23 21:15:49 UTC 2019

I had heard that many of our one syllable rude words (c*nt, c*ck, sh*t etc,
though f*ck has a whole sea of stories about it - somewhere on
https://stronglang.wordpress.com/
I'm sure) were Anglo-Saxon/Norman counterparts to the fancier French
influenced (vagina, penis, er, excrement, maybe?) versions; the upper class
used the fancier terms, hoi poloi used the short ones.  Which sort of make
"pardon my French" be a way of apologizing for being snooty or a backhanded
snooty way of not being common.

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell