[Ads-l] banana (UNCLASSIFIED)

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY CCDC AVMC (USA) 0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Thu Oct 31 19:18:50 UTC 2019

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

> In any case, Edward Said's _Orientalism_ (1978) was the biggest nail in the
> coffin and lexical re-orientation was de rigueur.
>
>  For people with degrees anyhow.

Oh, I have a degree - Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering.  But the standard mnemonic for color codes on resistors was taught to us with a straight face ("Black boys rape our young girls but Violet gives willingly" -- black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, grey, white)), so whether or not "oriental" was offensive was completely off the radar.

(Wikipedia has a number of mnemonics which are not so racist or sexist, but are also much less memorable.)

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED