[Ads-l] Adage: When the game is over, the King and the pawn go back in the same box (Request in EEBO)

Sun Sep 1 12:22:34 UTC 2019

Quotation expert Nigel Rees asked about the saying in the subject in
his newsletter of October 2011. I sent a message to the list about
this topic back in January 2012 and presented a 1781 citation.
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2012-January/115460.html

Now there is a Quote Investigator article with a citation in English
in 1629 from John Boys (died 1625) who was the Dean of Canterbury.
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2019/08/31/chess/

The article also includes a precursor verse in Edward FitzGerald's
translation of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam from 1859. The provenance
of the text used by FitzGerald appears to be uncertain. So I do not
know what date should be assigned to this precursor verse. Modern
scholars doubt the ascription to Omar Khayyam.

If you have full access to Early English Books Online (EEBO) then you
can help. EEBO contains a germane match, but I cannot access the
details or the scans.

The target text can be found using the search phrase "shuffled into
One Bag". Here is a version of the excerpt I am looking for from a
later reprint of the target book. Also, here is the metadata.

[Begin excerpt]
Men upon earth, as in the game at chess, supply different places; one
is a king, another a queen, another a bishop, another a knight,
another a pawn: but when the game is done, and they are shuffled into
one bag, all are alike.
[End excerpt]

Title: A commentary or, exposition vpon the diuine second epistle
generall, written by the blessed apostle St. Peter. By Thomas Adams
Author: Adams, Thomas, fl. 1612-1653.
Publication info: London : Printed by Richard Badger [and Felix
Kyngston] for Iacob Bloome, MDCXXXIII. [1633]
Collection: Early English Books Online 2

If you could send me a few scans if would be very helpful:

Scans with key metadata: title, author, printer-publisher, date.
Scans showing the target quotation and the discussion before the
target quotation which is about a conversation between Mercury and
Menippus. I would also like to get the OCR text which is probably
similar to the text of the 1658 citation in the QI article.

You help is greatly appreciated
Garson