[Ads-l] ching chong (1862?)

Sun Sep 1 19:37:44 UTC 2019

The mention of tails led me to look for some other citations referring
to tails. Here is "long-tailed Ching-a-ring-tingus" in 1861 and
"long-tailed Ching Chongs" In 1884.

Date: June 8, 1861
Periodical: All the World Round: A Weekly Journal
Article: Chinese Slaves Adrift
Quote Page 249
Published: Messrs. Chapman and Hall, London
Database: HathiTrust

https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uc1.32106005890196
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uc1.32106005890196?urlappend=%3Bseq=259

[Begin excerpt]
Climbing the hill, I found on its top an American surgeon, serving as
the bar-keeper, and residing there with no comrades but the Chinamen,
or, as he called them, the long-tailed Ching-a-ring-tingus. The place,
he said, was right enough as long as there were no typhoons.
[End excerpt]