[Ads-l] O'Grady says antedating; slap-neck

Thu Sep 5 00:58:34 UTC 2019

The British Newspaper Archive is probably one of the best databases to
search for evidence of the "O'Grady says" exercise. I only performed a
shallow search because scanning false positives provides little
entertainment. I searched for "O'Grady's drill" and found a plausible
match in August 1917. "O'Grady's drill" in this citation was a
competitive game for wounded members of the military.

Also, there is a solid match for "O’Grady orders" in January 1918.
Double check for OCR errors and metadata errors.

Date: August 30, 1917
Newspaper: West Sussex Gazette
Newspaper Location: County of Sussex, England
Article: CROWBOROUGH
Quote Page 3, Column 6
Database: British Newspaper Archive

[Begin excerpt]
Great interest centred on the garden sports for the wounded at
Harecombe Manor Auxiliary Hospital, kindly arranged by Lady Gatacre.
Winners of handsome prizes were: Boot race, 1, Private Doyle; potato
guessing competition, 1, Corporal Ward; round the stake, 1, Private
Thomas; potato race. 1, Private Thomas; apple eating competition, 1,
Private Longley; egg and spoon race, 1, Private Vincent; O'Grady's
drill, 1, Private Middleton; three-legged race, 1, Private Herr;
. . .
[End excerpt]