[Ads-l] janky (1989)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 9 01:49:13 UTC 2019

> You'll have observed that "janky-ass" in the quote needn't have anything
> do with luck.

Just as _boody/booty_ needn't have anything to do with pirates,  cf., e.g.

Big Boody Judy's Salon - Intercourse, Pennsylvania - Local Business.
Phone, Suggest a phone number ... Big Boody Judy's Salon. Local Business.
Unofficial Page. Located in Intercourse, Pennsylvania. Big Boody Judy's
Salon. Posts about Big Boody Judy's Salon.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 1:04 PM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> You'll have observed that "janky-ass" in the quote needn't have anything
> do with luck.
>
> JL
>

> On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 1:34 AM Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Cf. the book-title,
> > White Privilege: Jank or Injustice?: Little Language Lexicon of How ...
> > https://books.google.com › books
> > S.G. Brown - 2018 - ‎Education
> >
> > Unfortunately, the book does not define _jank_.
> >
> > I'm familiar with _jank_ only as the alternate name used for the joker
in
> > various versions of the card-game, whist. in which it is the most
powerful
> > card, more powerful than the most powerful "cutter" or trump-card. I
once
> > hypothesized that _jank_ might be a BE variant of "jinx," since the
joker
> > is a jinx for whoever - or should that be "whomever"? - isn't holding
it.
> > However, I have never heard _jinx_ pronounced as "jank" by anyone.
either
> > in the wild or on a record.
> > --
> > -Wilson
> > -----
> > All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint to
> > come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> > -Mark Twain

> --
> "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the
truth."

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain