[Ads-l] allegory

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 10 20:00:27 UTC 2019

Allegories are not accidental.  Allegories have programmed "hidden
meanings" that are more important than their surface meanings. Most of the
characters and events, moreover, are identifiable as representing abstract
ideas from which the reader/viewer is to draw some significant, perhaps
overlooked, truth about life. Allegories are intended to teach a guiding
philosophical, religious, political, or similar lesson.

What does Casablanca teach? That America was recently isolationist?
Casablanca says only that U.S. policy toward Germany changed.  Where's the
lesson? Everybody knew that in 1942. There are, IMO, the no hidden meanings
that are more important  than what the characters actually say and do.

Walt Disney's Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier, is a frontiersman.
But that doesn't make the movie an "allegory" of Manifest Destiny, the
Creek War, the South's desire to extend slavery into Mexico, or elite
disdain for the working class.

But the point here is that the word "allegory" is used in a highly dilute
form not yet recognized by OED.

JL

JL

JL