[Ads-l] work on non-native speakers' participation in language varieties

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Fri Sep 13 12:42:02 UTC 2019

I apologize for a possible "help me do my homework" posting, but . . .

I'm in a graduate sociolinguistics class (finally!) and we have a final
paper (of course) and there are a variety of questions that we can pose
& research, but we can also generate our own.

Having read the bit in Wardhaugh & Fuller (2015) about ethnic varieties,
and having watched Spanish-teaching and Spanish-speaking classmates
struggle with the idea that a variety like Chicano English is *not*
learner language, nor just accented language, I've become interested in
the idea of non-native speakers' participation in varieties. The missing
link between this idea in the textbook and my question is a presentation
at the 2018 ADS meeting by Hoffman & Walker on "Whose sorry now? (orV)
in Toronto English", which came out of the larger Contact in the City
project (yes?) and I have noted specifically that "older L2s" were
included in the study, which I thought was *great* and unusual.

So, here's my "help me do my homework" bit:

1) Has this study been published yet?

2) Does the collective brain out there know about other variationist
studies that have included L2/non-native speakers that I should be
looking at as a starting point?

3) Does this issue tie in to the larger issue of defining a variety and
defining who speaks it?

---Amy West