[Ads-l] cal-ving

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Sep 14 04:11:04 UTC 2019

Maybe it’s the law of conservation of /l/s.  I’ve noticed that British speakers, at least the ones who narrate my audiobooks, avoid pronouncing the (first) /l/ in “vulnerable”.  I agree with the suggestion in your last sentence—“calving” is probably opaque when applied to glaciers, especially for those who didn’t grow up on a farm or ranch.

LH