[Ads-l] Adage: Hurt people hurt people

Mon Sep 16 14:23:36 UTC 2019

A journalist at Slate just asked me to investigate the saying in the
subject line. Apparently, it is used in the new film Hustlers.
create a QI entry:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2019/09/15/hurt/

The earliest match I found appeared in an Amarillo, Texas newspaper in
1959. A columnist described a meeting of the Parent Teacher
Association held at a local Junior High. One of the speakers was named
Charles Eads.

[ref] 1959 February 26, Amarillo Globe-Times, Polk Street Professor,
Quote Page 30, Column 1, Amarillo, Texas. (Newspapers_com) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Charles claimed the teacher’s job is to take 25 or 30 live wires and
make sure they are well grounded. And he said the human anatomy is a
most peculiar mechanism. If you pat it on the back it often makes the
head swell.

Then he made a statement that might give pause to a student of
psychology. It’s worded peculiarly. The statement is, “Hurt people
hurt people.” So, maybe before I wound someone next time, I’ll stop
and think if it’s because I’ve been hurt, myself.
[End excerpt]

Feedback welcome
Garson