[Ads-l] Taking nominations

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Sep 26 18:14:25 UTC 2019

I would go with "Kyiv Pro Quo."

("Quid Pro Kyiv" appeared in a Vox article, but I think my version is more mellifluous.)

I've also seen on Twitter: "Stupid Watergate II: Electric Waterloo"

(John Oliver calls the Russian collusion affair "Stupid Watergate.")

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> On Behalf Of Laurence Horn
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2019 1:44 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: [ADS-L] Taking nominations

>From today’s coverage in the NYT Online (emphasis added):

Other allegations from the whistle-blower:

	• Attorney General William Barr and the president’s personal lawyer Rudolph Giuliani were central to the effort to compel Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and his family.
	• White House officials were “deeply disturbed by what had transpired in the phone call” because they “had witnessed the President abuse his office for personal gain.”
	• Senior White House officials tried to “lock down” records of the call, especially a word-for-word transcript.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi, speaking to reporters today, said the administration’s reported efforts to conceal the call amounted to a “cover-up.”

So we need an X-gate for the purported cover-up.  Ukrainegate is pretty awful, and Bidengate not much better (except phonologically).  Any suggestions on solving for X?

(I recall way back when, there were reference to GHW Bush's “Chicken Kiev” speech...aha—here it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Kiev_speech <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Kiev_speech>. But that’s not really relevant here, except it is an exceptionally bon mot.)

LH