[Ads-l] Obsolete term: "gas pedal" in an electric car –

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Fri Sep 27 13:50:49 UTC 2019

On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 17:44:27 Zone-0400  Mark Mandel <markamandel at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

>Well, we still call the panel in front of the driver a "dashboard", even
>though it no longer is
>
> A panel at the front of a horse-drawn vehicle that projects up to
>protect the riders from mud, water, or snow kicked up by the horse or horses.
>
>*https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=dashboard
><https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=dashboard>*

"dashboard" has acquired a meaning in computers:  a screen on which often-used data or buttons or whatever are displayed.

This meaning obviously derives from all messages/inputs to the driver of a car/truck/etc. are on the dashboard

- Jim Landau