[Ads-l] Obsolete term: "gas pedal" in an electric car =?utf-8?Q?=E2=80=93_?=alternatives "potentiometer" or "accelerator"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Sep 30 18:07:11 UTC 2019

I assume “off the hook” in the sense of ‘no longer in jeopardy, immune from being hassled’ was originally a fishing metaphor rather than a telephone one. But presumably “off the hook” in the “off the chain” sense below is indeed from the ringing telephone scenario.

LH