[Ads-l] Confusing ancestor and descendant in 1926

Mark Mandel markamandel at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 8 13:18:15 UTC 2020

> "He traces his descendant to Cromwell's lieutenant general".

This particular example of the confusion may have a better excuse than the
others. Since we say "He {descends / is descended} from Cromwell's
lieutenant general", the writer may well have been thinking of "He traces
his *descent*...".

Incidentally, the construction "He traces his ancestor to..." is new to me
and sounds very wrong.

Mark Mandel