[Ads-l] Antedating of "Pastrami"

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 26 23:44:50 UTC 2020

I'm not sure if I ever posted a very long post on my old searches through
Google Books on a number of food words. My best recollection is that it can
be extended close to another hundred years by looking at collections of
ships' manifests that should still be online. Pastrami was definitely one
of the key words, as it referred to slabs of dry beef shipped from Turkey,
Romania and Bulgaria. Of course, that was before Google Books was reduced
to a steaming pile of ...

But I would look at records from at least as far back as mid-century, if
not earlier.

VS