[Ads-l] "psychedelic" music (1964)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 29 00:42:32 UTC 2020

> On Apr 28, 2020, at 2:46 PM, Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Larry, do you know the regional distribution of the "or...or" construction?
> While Steve Weber was the one who was "born in Pennsylvania," it's
> Milwaukee-born Peter Stampfel who sings the "or...or" bit.

No, I don’t know that it’s a dialectal feature at all. The line always struck me because of its resemblance to analogous disjunctive constructions like Fr. “ou…ou” and Lat. “aut…aut”, as opposed to mainstream Eng. “either…or”.  I was wondering if the first “or” was dropped in to fit the meter.  But for what it’s worth I see the double “or” does show up on Genius (https://genius.com/The-holy-modal-rounders-hesitation-blues-lyrics), along with the observation from xmdvx that 'This is the first use of the word “psychedelic” in popular music.’ According to another commenter, Stampfel credits the Charlie Poole version, but in that one (“If the river was whiskey”, as in "If the river was whiskey and I was a duck/I'd dive to the bottom and I'd never come up"; cf. https://genius.com/Charlie-poole-and-the-north-carolina-ramblers-if-the-river-was-whiskey-lyrics), the chorus definitely goes as follows (as I just confirmed from my recording from Old Time Songs 1926-1930, Vol. 2)

Oh can I get you now
Must I hesitate

Maybe Stampfel heard Charlie’s “Oh” as “or” and filled in the second “or”? DARE doesn’t have a relevant use; the only non-phonological variant is the use of “or” as an exceptive attested in KY and TN, as in:

What shall we do—or stay here? = Is there anything we can do except stay home?

LH