[Ads-l] What is North America

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 7 21:55:57 UTC 2020

Thanks Gordon,
the ADS mission reads a little different now

The American Dialect Society, founded in 1889, is dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of other languages, influencing it or influenced by

Tom Zurinskas,  Originally from SW Conn 20 yrs,  college NE Tenn 3,  work SE NJ  33,  resides SE Florida 18...  truespel.com

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Gordon, Matthew J. <GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU>
Sent: Friday, August 7, 2020 9:31 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: What is North America

The wording of the original ADS constitution (from Dialect Notes vol 1) clarifies that it's not just about the US:
"[ADS's] object is the investigation of the spoken English of the United States and Canada, and incidentally of other non-aboriginal dialects spoken
in the same countries."
Studies of Canadian English appear in the earliest ADS publications and of course the major American dialect survey of the 20th century was Kurath's "Linguistic Atlas of the United States AND CANADA," even though very little research was done on Canadian English through this project. Today, studies of Canadian English are featured frequently in American Speech and at the annual ADS meeting.
Matt Gordon