[Ads-l] Latinx

Bethan Tovey-Walsh accounts at BETHAN.WALES
Mon Aug 17 13:43:22 UTC 2020

Evidently, there’s a large enough group of people who find the term useful and acceptable as a representation of their identity. Telling them that the word they’ve settled on is absurd and unnecessary and has a far more grammatical alternative is insensitive as well as missing the point. It’s their word. It’s no more good or bad than any other word adapted to fill a need.

No argument that a word’s spelling is unreasonable can hold much water in English, of all languages. The pronunciations “lateen-ex” or “latin-ex” are both perfectly reasonable. They’re not conventional according to English orthotactic/phonotactic rules; but we settled on ways to pronounce “Czech” and “gateaux” and “shih tzu”, so I think we can do the same with “Latinx”.

Bethan

Dr. Bethan Tovey-Walsh

Myfyrwraig PhD | PhD Student CorCenCC
Prifysgol Abertawe | Swansea University

CV: LinkedIn

Croeso i chi ysgrifennu ataf yn y Gymraeg.