[Ads-l] Can We Please Stop Using =?utf-8?Q?=E2=80=98Latinx=E2=80=99=3F_?=Thanx. | by Kurly Tlapoyawa | Human Parts

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 19 19:14:58 UTC 2020

> On Aug 19, 2020, at 2:50 PM, Salikoko S. Mufwene <mufw at UCHICAGO.EDU> wrote:
>
> Larry, one thing that prompted me to share the article with the list is that, according to Tlapoyawa, "Latinx" was used as a substitute for "Chicana" and "Chicano." My understanding is that the denotation of "Latinx" is now much, much more inclusive, applying to people from the geographical area called "Latin America." For some, that also includes former French colonies and current French overseas departments, as "the Americas" sometimes include the Caribbean islands. So, it appears to me that the inclusiveness of "x" in "Latinx" now also applies to diversity of national origins.
>
> Another relevant fact is that you asked yesterday, if I remember well, whether the label applies to the Portuguese and Spanish people.

Yes, and I was also wondering about applicability to Brazilians.  My impression is yes on Brazilians, maybe no on Iberians, while we would be hard-pressed to defend the position that Spaniards are not “Hispanic”. Chicano/a was always specifically used for Mexican-American(s) (not Mexican(s) per se) when I lived in California in the 1960s-70s, but it may have broadened since then.  If not, “Latinx” would clearly be a superordinate category label, not a substitute one.

I hadn’t realized that “Latinx" is more likely to encompass those from (former) French colonial domains than “Latino/a” are.  Not for the first time it comes down to how to solve for x.

LH