[Ads-l] Definition OTY

Wed Aug 19 16:33:06 UTC 2020

Mark Mandel wrote:
> I don't think Moynihan's use is the newer sense. I can say what I want
> because *it's true*.

If you are interested in the provenance of the expression ascribed to
Moynihan you may find this article helpful:

People Are Entitled To Their Own Opinions But Not To Their Own Facts
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2020/03/17/own-facts/

An Associated Press article from 1946 printed the following remark
spoken by Bernard Baruch (a precursor to Moynihan's remark):

Every man has the right to an opinion but no man has a right to be
wrong in his facts.

The statement above remark suggests that facts can be wrong.

Garson